Thursday, November 01, 2012

safe and sound: 30 Days of Thanks

I remember this time last year when I decided to start up this 30 Days of Thanks blog/Twitter challenge – it was just before the massive storm we’ve since named Snowtober hit, rendering many of us in CT powerless for a week and buried in snow two months before it is acceptable. In those first few days of the challenge, I thought it would be hard to come up with things that I was thankful for, but actually, it was easier. We had a place to stay at my in-laws’ house. I had an employer that was reasonable about canceling work. Jane went to a daycare that miraculously retained power and remained open, giving her days some level of normalcy. Mostly I was thankful for spotting a Connecticut Light and Power truck in our neighborhood after several days in the dark.

 
And now that the project is starting up again, we are recovering from Hurricane Sandy, another freak, massive storm that has absolutely wrecked our neighbors in southern Connecticut, New York City and New Jersey. We were incredibly lucky this time – although it was the scariest storm I’ve ever experienced in terms of wind and rattling windows and bending trees, we never lost power (I think this has something to do with the fact that we bought an expensive generator and argued all day Sunday while Greg was setting it up. We have a theory that the power will never go out again – and if this is true, it was the best money we ever spent.). We were safe, we were warm, we had running water, lights, and a diet of Halloween candy and the scary-ass news we could watch on TV that day (I clocked in about 15 hours of news on Monday. I think my heart is STILL pounding from the nerves.).

 
My in-laws’ house, which is right on the water, miraculously was not damaged – which is amazing, since so many homes and businesses in their area were flooded out, including a cottage they own right down the street. Our boat is just fine, as Greg moved it from the marina it is docked at during the summer to its winter home. Lucky for that, too, because our summer marina in Old Saybrook took a beating.

 
My friends in New Jersey and New York are safe. Powerless, but safe.

 
It’s easy to say what I’m thankful on this first of 30 Days of Thanks.  Of course I am grateful our STUFF made it through this storm OK, but far more importantly I am so thankful WE did. Me, and my East Coast family and friends. We’re OK. We’re good.

 
What are you thankful for today? If you're tweeting, don't forget to hashtag #30DaysofThanks : )

This post is part of the #30DaysofThanks project. Check it out.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog post was much more thoughtful and elaborate than my tweet. Sometimes I'm a simpleton.