Thursday, October 18, 2007

as it turns out, I can't have my cake and eat it too

So today I'm back in the shorts I was wearing last summer. They could fit a little better, but everything else is in the wash (I am doing three times as much laundry these days - some of it is Jane's, and a lot of it is the result of The Summer of Being Vomited Upon). A quick update on my weight loss - I am at my "return to work" goal weight, with three pounds to go until I reach my original, pre-pregnancy weight of a year ago. I could actually lose a couple additional pounds from that too, but hey, let's not get greedy. The holidays are coming up. I love me some holiday cookies.

The weight loss has not been without much struggle and hunger pangs. Although people like Angelina Jolie will say the reason she's 98 lbs is because she's breastfeeding, this is not really true. Or maybe she's just luckier than me. Because not only am I breastfeeding, I'm also starving and exercising. And cranky. But this is what it takes for a non-movie star to lose weight, especially one who is hitting her mid-30s with a crappy metabolism. The good news is, lugging an increasingly heavy baby around does wonders for one's upper body strength. This weekend, I'm taking all of my gift certificates and buying some new clothes. Because although I've lost most of the weight, my body is most definitely not the same. The hips - they're bigger. The gut - it's bigger, with leftover Jane that I've been told won't go away for six months, no matter what I do. But it's worth it. It's all worth it.


Sorry for the lack of blogging lately. It's been a whirlwind of getting us ready for next week. I'm also pretty bummed out, and don't feel like dragging the internets (sorry Lisa) down with me.

1 comment:

lgaumond said...

Oh screw those stars! They have a staff to take care of the baby and a personal chef and personal trainer. PLUS, they never tell you that, yes, they look smashing, but their hips have spread and they are now wearing all new clothes because even though they lost all the weight they wanted to, their bodies have changed from pushing a human being out through their pelvis. You're beautiful the way you are, leftover Jane and all. Enjoy the shopping spree!!