Today’s Scintilla prompt: Tell a story about something interesting (anything!) that happened to you, but tell it in the form of an instruction manual. (Step 1, Step 2, etc.)
How to end up on a PATH train from Manhattan to Hoboken in bright green fuzzy slippers in 9 easy steps:
1) Plan fabulously fun weekend in NYC with your friends.
2) Wear too-high platform sandals, despite the fact you turn your ankle quite a bit.
3) Drink a lot for several hours in a row with said friends. Fun and frivolity abound.
4) Declare that “I’m pretty sure I’m going to fall” when headed for train. You say this not because you are drunk – you just “have a feeling.”
5) Fall ass over teakettle in the middle of New York City. Snap the strap of your sandal. Laugh your ass off. Piss off your friend who is really focused on getting to the train. Laugh harder. Because what else can you do?
6) Take cab to station. See a big beautiful Duane Reade. Tell friends you MUST get a pair of flip flops because it is impossible to walk in broken sandal and there is no way in hell you are going barefoot.
7) Friends head into Duane Reade to look for footwear. You limp in behind them with another friend, who is photographing whole event with great amounts of glee.
8) Friends say that because it is late October, there are no flip flops for sale. However, there are slippers. In a bright neon green variety. You suspect friends might be lying. You don’t really care.
9) After dumping your sandals in a trash bin with great ceremony, you wear the slippers on the train back to Jersey, secretly happy because those sandals were uncomfortable anyway. And you know what? Not a single person looked twice.