Tuesday, July 05, 2011

weekend over.

Seriously - I think all weekends should be five days long. Who's with me? At 6:30 p.m. on a Tuesday, I am finally wrapping up my Fourth of July weekend, which began last Thursday night.

We were generously given Friday off at my workplace, and while I had planned to spend the day doing prep work for my Fourth of July party, instead I....well, honestly.....I don't remember what I did. I think I did some reading. I think I did some sitting out in the sun. I know I went out to dinner with an old friend from my newspaper days. That was fun.

On Saturday, I went to my friends' annual family Fourth party (never on the actual Fourth, unless it happens to fall on a Saturday). This is my other family, more or less, and we had a great time. Jane ran herself ragged in the pools and on the water slide and fell asleep on the way home, which is basically my idea of a perfect Saturday night. No bedtime shananigans = A+ day.

Sunday was a down day; we ended up at the boat. Took a long ride in the morning, and then watched the rain fall all afternoon. That wraps up Sunday.

Monday was the day of our big Fourth of July party at our house. Unbeknownst to me, you cannot buy alcohol on holidays in my state (I don't know how I didn't know this - truly, I am an arse sometimes) so I had to drive up over the border to Massachusetts to buy our supply for the festivities - this was after trips to Target and two grocery stores for all of the food and other stuff. By the time 3:30 rolled around and the guests started arriving, I was exhausted.

But we had fun! At least, I think we did - the whole day felt like a complete blur of feeding, cleaning, talking, and watching Greg's epic fireworks display (no limbs lost! yay!). I love having everyone over but I don't think I had one single meaningful conversation.

I took today off because I knew I'd be wrecked from yesterday. After enduring one of the worst, guilt-inducing daycare drop-offs ever (Jane is REALLY NOT HAPPY about transitioning to a new classroom) (REALLY REALLY NOT HAPPY) I headed to the beach, and oh, what a glorious beach day it was. Hot, cloudless July days like today are the days I live for.

So that was my weekend. It's going to be balls to the wall at work this week - seriously, if you see me on Twitter or anywhere else, just tell me to get the hell back to work. I have so much to do....see ya on the flip side!

No comments: