Friday, August 03, 2007

no rest for the hungry

Probably the most common complaint you'll hear from new parents is how tired they are. Everyone told me how tired I would be, how I didn't even understand the definition of tired until I had a hungry, nursing newborn to deal with. And, of course, they were right, but that was something I expected. I'm tired like I never was before, yada yada yada, but hey, I'm the one who decided I wanted to have a baby - I can't expect to get my 8 hours a night. Or, you know, a week.

But this morning, we went to the pediatrician to find out how little miss Jane is progressing, weight-wise. They like to do more frequent weight checks when they are nursing, versus being on formula, because it's hard to determine just how much they are eating. Well I am very proud to report that she went from 6 lbs 10 oz (her weight at her visit last week) to 7 lb, 5 oz today! This is great news because the doctor gave her two weeks to get back to her birth weight (7 lb, 3 oz) and in one week, she surpassed it! So all of those late-night, all-evening and daytime feedings were well worth it, in my tired and humble opinion.

In the meantime, I'm working on losing the weight I gained. Well, actually, I'm really not doing anything at all - no exercise allowed for six weeks - but somehow I've managed to lose 21 pounds so far, with 9 to go! Not bad at all.


lgaumond said...

You're amazing. And so is little Janie. Too cute.

Flann said...

AWWWWW! Look at the big head!

Wow, 21 lbs already? How does that work?