Wednesday, April 01, 2009

the R-word

r-word.org

So, if you spend any time with me, you know how much I hate the word "retard" or "retarded." I really don't like calling people out on stuff (unless I know you really really well) but this is something that pops out of my mouth if I hear someone using those words - I'll just say something like "please don't use that word" or "I hate that word." And I do. I always have. It feels lazy, and insulting, and really, if you want to insult someone, can't you come up with a more creative way than using hate language? My feelings on this doubled, of course, when I found out that Jane might have Down syndrome. And, as you know, I read several awesome blogs by moms who have children with Down syndrome. This entry by Lisa at Finnian's Journey about the R-word is excellent - much better than mine, that's for sure - and when you scroll down and see a pic of her super-duper-cute boy Finnian, maybe you can think of him next time you decide to use that word. It hurts, people. It hurts people.

Off my soapbox now. But yesterday was a "Spread the Word to End the Word" day, and although I missed it, I wanted to touch on the subject.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Thank you, Amanda :)

Shane said...

The fact that you don't want me to say it makes me want to say it even more, because I have the maturity of a 5th grader. However, you should know that I do catch myself saying it sometimes, and have been able to stop myself on occasion now that I'm aware of it. But this is not because of you. Don't flatter yourself.

Amanda said...

I would never assume it's because of me, Shane. : )

Audrey said...

I think it's because of you. Though Shane has been reformed in his name-calling, he still continues to be a compulsive liar. One step at a time...