Monday, March 30, 2009

day trippin'

Well, my mom and I survived another trip to NYC. Over the past few years, I have taken to buying her (us) tickets to a Broadway show for Christmas. We take the train in, we get lunch, go to the show, and come home. It's fun, despite the fact that it ALWAYS rains we always get at least somewhat lost. It doesn't matter how many times I've been to New York - I manage to get turned around every single time.

All held true yesterday. The rain was drizzly and cold, but by no means as bad as say, 2005, when we went to see Wicked in a torrential downpour. We also got a little lost, but again, nowhere near as badly as we did when we went to see Wicked (that show is cursed, obviously). This year we saw In the Heights, which, as you know, I completely love, having already seen in September. There are a few new cast members, but we saw primarily the original Broadway cast. Most notably was the change in actor for the lead role, Usnavi - now played by Javier Munoz. It was originally played by the guy who created the show, Lin-Manuel Miranda - who I saw in September, and who I've developed a slight obsession with - but I am VERY happy to report that the new guy was just as good. I freakin' love this show. GO SEE IT.

***

Feeling melancholy today. A blog that I read has been following a toddler who has cancer (she is the daughter of the writer's friends) - and it's looking like she's at the end of her road. I have never met these people in my life, and never will, but have found myself with tears streaming down my face more than once today, thinking of the pain they are now in. Go hug someone you love.

No comments: