Sunday, October 04, 2009

project small joys: my book clubs

Continuing my exciting series of things I love in life, I present: my book clubs. I belong to two. One is made up of former/current co-workers; it's a very small but persistant book club that meets on an irregular basis but is always reading something (or supposed to be reading something). This book club has been around for probably five years or so. The rules are lax in this club. If you don't like the whole idea of the chosen book, you don't have to read it, but you can still give your opinion about it (or maybe that's just a rule I came up with myself, because lordy, I don't like reading super depressing books but I sure love giving my opinion about them). We also talk VERY LITTLE about the book when we meet (which is usually for lunch during the work week). Instead we spend 80%-90% of the time gossiping and talking about what a douchebag Jon Gosselin is (really!).

My other book club is newer - our second meeting is tonight. This is made up of my core group of friends I've been tight with since I was 8, along with some of their associated girlfriends, boyfriends, what-have-you. So far, the books this club reads tends to be a little more serious, Pulitzer Prize-winning and what not, and so far, the two choices have been great. The last one, which is about a traveling circus in the 1930s, is definitely not something I would have read on my own, since it talks about the abuse of the animals in the circus, but I really liked it. And I guess that's the whole point of book club -reading stuff you normally wouldn't. This second book club takes itself very seriously, with prepared discussion questions and themed snacks. It's kind of hilarious.

Tonight, it's my turn to reveal what book I've picked for our next meeting (we had to pick numbers to determine the order of the picking). I'll let you know what I picked tomorrow! (Because I know you are desperate to find out.)

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Was that traveling circus book Water for Elephants (or something like that)?
Im curious to hear which book you've picked. I LOVE reading, but have been totally slacking recently. Im pretty sure it took me about 2 years to read The Abstinence Teacher! Although, I must say, I have just started a really good book called The Help and Im totally into it...

Amanda said...

Yes, it was Water for Elephants - I totally didn't think I would like it, but I loved it. For our next book, I picked "The Know It All" by AJ Jacobs. It looks funny/interesting, and I had read another book of his, "The Year of Living Biblically" which I really liked. We'll see!

lgaumond said...

As president of the lazy, slacker book club, I can attest to the fact that yes, we do mostly just eat and gossip.