Monday, December 06, 2010

reverb10 day 6: make



Today's reverb10 prompt, from author Gretchen Rubin:

What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?
I'm sure anyone who knows me is laughing heartily at the prospect of me answering this one. And as much as I love the idea of making things, I am not a maker per se. Some of my favorite blogs are by artists like my real-life friend Lisa, who not only makes beautiful jewelry, prints, totes, bags and other crafty thing (there is a reason her blog is called Artsy Fartsy) but she is also a fantabulous cook and baker. And I’m not just saying this as a reminder that she owes me a cake. She is the most talented "maker" I know, and I really think she should open her own shop and give me large, large discounts.

Other crafty blogs I love reading include Kelly Rae Roberts’ blog – I love Kelly Rae because she mixes it up with crafty posts and particularly well-written and insightful regular-life posts, including ones about her entrance into the world of new motherhood with her son True. She keeps it very real over there, while also being a wickedly talented artist. I recently bought her 2011 date book (now sold out!) and it’s one of the reasons I can’t wait for 2011 to begin.

As for me – I am not crafty, I barely cook – I’m not a maker. My creative outlet is through theater, so any artistic talent I have (very little) goes towards painting and decorating sets. But I’d rather be moving those sets around, acting or directing.

***

I just wanted to add a p.s. to note a loss in the family. Greg’s grandmother – the sassiest 98-year-old you’d ever meet – passed away yesterday afternoon. These pics are from our wedding six years ago – she dominated the dance floor.

7 comments:

Marie said...

First, your grandmother-in-law (?) looks like she was tons of fun and I'm sorry for your loss. How cool though to have such an awesome example of really living all the way into your 90s?

Second, amen, amen, amen on not being a maker. I almost didn't write a reverb today because making is not what I do.

jeanne hewell-chambers said...

well, greg's grandmother reminds me of my great aunt irene who lived a full 97.5 years . . . as much of it as possible on the dance floor! nice tribute.

Stereo said...

I'm so sorry for your loss (you and Greg); she looked like a firecracker of a woman.

And yes, I am a maker in the metaphorical sense but when it comes to be handy, I fail. Epically.

lgaumond said...

Aw, shucks. Flattery and then a gentile reminder that I've owed you a cake since, like, August? It's coming, I promise.

Debra said...

Sorry for your loss Amanda. She obviously enjoyed life. Aren't you glad you have these photos?

Elizabeth - Letters from a Small State said...

You don't make ANYTHING? Not even a faux-farting noise when you sit in your pleather pants on the leather sofa? Come on...there's go to be SOMEHTING!

Mandi said...

I have to agree with you on the whole "making" thing, which kind of left me stuck on this prompt. I baked a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving -- does that count? :)