Monday, November 01, 2010

Nine years!

Welcome to NaBloPoMo! Here I am, your faithful lazy blogger trying to fulfill my promise to blog for 30 days in a row. It won’t be pretty, I can promise you that.


This monumental day happens to coincide with the ninth anniversary of my first date with Greg. I’m sure I’ve told this story before on this blog (but I’m way too lazy to go back to the archives and look) but, in short, Greg and I met on a blind date on November 1, 2001. It was a Thursday night, which was meaningful to both of us: to him, Thursday was not-quite-premium date night real estate, meaning I didn’t warrant a Friday or Saturday night because he had no idea who the hell I was; and to me, because Thursday night was “Survivor” night, and, as I told him on our date, he was “very lucky I was with him at all” because man, did I love that show (and still do, amazingly). I was clearly really good at the whole dating thing, as you can tell with awesome lines like that. Guys really love to hear how a night of television nearly beat them out on your social calendar.


One near-breakup, dog, engagement, wedding, another dog, and kid later, here we are. And my mother taped “Survivor” for me that night, so it all worked out!

1 comment:

Dwayne "The Train" said...

I love how even the story of the beginning of your greatest romance includes a bit about reality television.

And by "love" I mean I am sickened by it.

I was in either my sophomore of junior year of college when SURVIVOR started, and I wrote a paper about how I thought that show signaled the end of civilized television. Looks like I was right--and we are all the better for it, for without SURVIVOR, I would not be able to enjoy some HOUSEWIVES OF NJ.

And by "enjoy" I mean gawk at in horror.

Also, you should start watching THE WALKING DEAD on A&E; it's very similar to Mad Men, except...well...it has zombies and grotesque violence.