Tuesday, November 02, 2010

vote.

I'm a registered Democrat. That probably didn't need to be said; it's pretty clear if you know me or if you've read this site for a while. This day was one of the most euphoric I can remember.

So tonight probably won't be the most celebratory of my life. But our right to vote makes it so we do have a voice in this process. It's incredibly easy to become completely disgusted by politics - the negative ads, the combative debates, the lies, lies...more lies. But it's so vitally important that we cut through the bullshit and take a stance on the issues that are important to us, and take five minutes on election day and cast an INFORMED vote. I have voted since I was able (my mother demanded I register the moment I turned 18), but the older I get, the more I understand how lucky we are to live in a country where we determine the leadership. We can't necessarily choose the path of our country, but we can choose our guides. People in other countries are dying for this right. Literally. It is handed to us on a silver platter, yet so many people can't be bothered.

I'm going to jump off my soapbox now and get myself some results-watching snacks. And all I ask is that Christine "I'm not a witch" O'Donnell doesn't win.....let us maintain some level of sanity in this country.....PLEASE!

1 comment:

Dwayne "The Train" said...

To say I loved the show THE WEST WING would be an understatement. The quote below was from the episode GALILEO. When Mallory asks Sam (my favorite character) why we have to spend $165 million on a unmanned ship sent to (and lost on) Mars, Sam responds:

Because it's next. Because we came out of the cave, and we looked over the hill, and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and we pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is on a timeline of explorations and this is what's next.

I don't know why, but this quote has always resonated with me...