Friday, August 03, 2007

no rest for the hungry


Probably the most common complaint you'll hear from new parents is how tired they are. Everyone told me how tired I would be, how I didn't even understand the definition of tired until I had a hungry, nursing newborn to deal with. And, of course, they were right, but that was something I expected. I'm tired like I never was before, yada yada yada, but hey, I'm the one who decided I wanted to have a baby - I can't expect to get my 8 hours a night. Or, you know, a week.


But this morning, we went to the pediatrician to find out how little miss Jane is progressing, weight-wise. They like to do more frequent weight checks when they are nursing, versus being on formula, because it's hard to determine just how much they are eating. Well I am very proud to report that she went from 6 lbs 10 oz (her weight at her visit last week) to 7 lb, 5 oz today! This is great news because the doctor gave her two weeks to get back to her birth weight (7 lb, 3 oz) and in one week, she surpassed it! So all of those late-night, all-evening and daytime feedings were well worth it, in my tired and humble opinion.


In the meantime, I'm working on losing the weight I gained. Well, actually, I'm really not doing anything at all - no exercise allowed for six weeks - but somehow I've managed to lose 21 pounds so far, with 9 to go! Not bad at all.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

You're amazing. And so is little Janie. Too cute.

Flann said...

AWWWWW! Look at the big head!

Wow, 21 lbs already? How does that work?