Thursday, December 30, 2010

reverb10 day 30: gift

Today's reverb10 prompt comes from author Holly Root:

This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What’s the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year?

My blog. My blog is the most memorable gift I received this year.

WTF?, you may be thinking. Let me explain.

Greg is, in no way, a daily visitor to this blog. He can go weeks without reading it, and then one day he'll seem particularly involved in his Blackberry, and when I ask what he's reading, he'll say, "your blog." Or, out of the blue, he may ask a question or make a reference to something I'd written a month earlier.

With that said, he is a huge supporter of this blog, and has always felt that I'm some sort of a great writer, and that what I've written over the past nearly five years (OMG - has it been that long?) is a great record of my life, something that Jane will really enjoy reading when she's older.

And, truly, I've had moments (haven't we all?) when I've wanted to shut the whole thing down, delete it all, and forget it ever happened. And what stops me is the fact that I really do want Jane to read this someday. This blog has covered the year-and-a-half before she was born, through my pregnancy and her infanthood, up 'til now. And at some point, I will truly stop writing about her, most likely when she hits school, but I must admit, I think it would be really cool to have a record like this of my mom's life and my early years. Plus, it will give her solid proof that I am, and have always been, a major dork.

So, for Christmas, he had it - my entire blog - printed, in color, on high quality paper. Once I finish up this year (tomorrow!!) he's going to have it bound. And someday, whether this blog exists in this or some other form, or it has disappeared from the internet entirely, I will have that copy to look back on, to share, and to give to my daughter.

That was definitely the most special and memorable gift I've gotten this year.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh, I like this take on the prompt! What a great gift!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, girl. I completely love this and I feel the same way about my lil blog.

Happy new year!! xoxo