Tuesday, October 14, 2008

sick day, part 3

I don't even want to write about this anymore. Last night was a complete disaster - Jane seems to have a perfect storm of stomach bug, fever, and big-time teething (molars coming in). This all resulted in SCREAMING - non-stop, nerve-shredding screaming - throughout the day today. I ended up working from home and not going in, and I was only able to do this because the other girls in my department were able to pick up my slack. I HATE the fact that I couldn't go in - after many years of working for my parents, I have a pretty strong work ethic, and hate leaving people hanging. This is the worst part of being a working parent - the choice is extreme guilt for staying home with a sick kid and not being at work, or extreme guilt for going to work and not being at home with the sick kid. Today she was in way too much agony for me to go in, and luckily, I was able to make that choice.

I feel pretty beaten down, though. It's frustrating never feeling like I'm doing enough, in one part of my life or another. Of course, the massive lack of sleep over the past few nights isn't helping either.

Aren't you glad I decided to blog for 31 days?

2 comments:

Alan said...

I am glad you posted. If you can have a crazy work day with a sick kid and still post something, what's my fricking excuse for not doing anything? Did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the wind beneath my wings. Seriously.

More seriously, I hope Jane is feeling better and that you avoided the bugs.

lgaumond said...

Poor Jane... after all these awful colds and bugs and teething and that black eye the other day from the cage match she was in, she's gonna grow up to be one tough broad.