Thursday, January 08, 2009

putting myself on my list

So, I was watching Oprah the other day - WHAT? I never watch Oprah, but I knew she was going to talk about how she was going to lose all that weight she gained back, and we all know I'm a sucker for an inspirational weight-loss story - and she got me thinking, as Oprah so often does. She was talking about how she gained all her lost weight back again, and how it was primarily triggered by a really stressful, busy year. Like so many people, Oprah responds to stress by eating. So this year - her BEST YEAR EVER - she is putting herself back on her list. You know how your (and mine, and Oprah's) to-do list usually includes doing stuff for work, and your family, and your friends, and other people, but it so rarely includes doing things for yourself? Well Oprah is putting herself back on her list.

Her trainer, Bob Greene, said that many times, when you overeat, you're doing it because you really want something else - like love, or acceptance, or whatever. Oprah is overeating because she needs balance.

So do I! Oprah and I are the same, minus the fame and billions of dollars. Our lives are lopsided and we don't do enough for ourselves. So, although I'm not going to try to lose 40 pounds this year like Oprah (although I wouldn't mind losing four), I am going to try to do more for myself, to decrease the stress in my life as much as possible, and to just breathe. Remember just breathing? I don't.

More to come on this.

5 comments:

lgaumond said...

I've been meaning to tell you this little thing that Luke said to me at your New Year's open house.

He asked me if he had ever seen you pregnant. Weird thing to ask... I said no, I don't think so, and he said that to him it looked like the stork must have dropped off Jane. He was amazied that you look like you never even had a kid.

So keep that in the back of your mind when you're working out: my husband was checking you out (ew!) and he thinks you don't need that DREADED TREADMILL.

But still, yay for you and Oprah. Breathing is good.

lgaumond said...

Although I do like the word "amazied" which I just invented, what I meant was "amazed".

yellaphant said...

Yeah. Only I overeat because I flipping love eating. Seriously, I love you food. I just love you.

Amanda said...

Lisa - Tell Luke I love him. That's quite a compliment! You can show him that pic from Agave - where I look a bajillion months pregnant.

Bridget - ME TOO. I am hungry FOR FOOD! I don't think my stomach is growling because I need love or something. I want snacks!

Laurie said...

I hear you. I totally need to get back to doing things for myself as well. I feel like all I am is a mom these days...sometimes I miss ME!

Thanks for this post : )