Saturday, June 09, 2007

happy birthday, puppy pup




Today is Junior's fourth birthday. He is the best dog I will ever have. No offense to Jimmy, or any other future pups - I love/will love them all tremendously. But Junior is not only the number one pup of all time, he kind of represents my transition into so-called adulthood.

Taking care of a dog isn't easy. Unlike cats, who can take care of themselves for days at a time if you leave them enough food and a clean litter box, dogs need constant attention and care. Junior was great as a puppy - he was housebroken in just a few days, and got LOTS of attention from people everywhere we went. People would say, "Is that a GREAT DANE?," all incredulous that this little 18-pounder would soon be the 125-pounder he is today.

Some people aren't so in love with him. They think because he's big, he's some sort of vicious dog. But all you need to do is spend five minutes with him to know he's more sweet and loving than any human you know.

Some people also felt/feel the need to tell us how "short-lived" Great Danes are - as in, "Oh, is that a GREAT DANE? You know, they don't live very long." Thanks. Should I now mention how your grandparents are looking mighty old, and might not have too much longer to go?

Junior was instrumental the day I got engaged. Greg gave Junior the ring box and then called me upstairs to say that he had thought Junior had something of mine. Of course I was pissed - we were, and still are, constantly prying things out of his big jaw that doesn't belong to him - so imagine my surprise when I found out what he really had. There was no better way to get engaged, in my opinion, then to include the whole family.

And that's what he is. A true part of this family. One of my all-time best friends. The best lap dog EVER. Greg and I knew we were going to start to try to have a baby last year, so a couple of years ago, we thought it might be a good idea to get Junior a friend - to help him understand that while we might incorporate others into our family, he was still very important to us. Hence the arrival of Jimmy on Christmas, 2005. Soon, Junior will have a little sister to play with. And although people are trying to freak me out about the dogs' reactions to the baby, I know Junior will take it all in stride.

So HAPPY BIRTHDAY, puppy pup!!
Note: I'm sure I've posted this picture before, but I just find it hilarious.






1 comment:

lgaumond said...

Awww... happy birthday Junior! Molly sends him a kiss.