Sunday, July 23, 2006

culture update

My reviews on what I've seen so far this weekend:

Clerks II - I liked it. I was so nervous that I wouldn't - it's kind of hard to live up to the hype that's been building for, what, 10 years? - but it was actually very amusing. The now-famed donkey part (the one that the USA critic was so upset about, so much so that he stomped out of the movie, muttering and sputtering, before it was over) was really gross, but I really liked a lot of the rest of it, and it really showed how far Kevin Smith has come, writing-wise. In the original Clerks, the writing was very stilted and non-conversational, but it was much more natural this time around. And some of the actors are now, well, acting. Some of it was also kind of smarmy and silly, but I wasn't disappointed overall.

Love, Valour, Compassion - Went to see this at Hole in the Wall last night (www.hitw.org), with Todd and Alan. I thought it was a really good show. As promised, it did feature a lot of nudity, and Alan purchased me an eye mask in case I couldn't handle it (I'm sure he will post a ridiculous picture of me with it on on his blog). But I'm happy to report that I was able to handle it. Anywho, the show, which clocks in at over three hours, moves along surprisingly quickly, and was very enjoyable and touching at points. Good job, Phil!

Prime - This is a supremely crappy movie starring Uma Thurman and Meryl Streep. I Netflixed it and am regretting the two hours of my life I spent watching it. I'm not going to waste more time writing about it. I leave you with this - DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.

I also Netflixed Pride and Prejudice, and am hoping to watch it today. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

Oh yay, you saw Clerks! Roger Ebert gave it a luke warm thumbs up. I think I'll still see it.

I saw a life-sized wooden sculpture of a great dane at an art gallery on Sunday. If I was a millionare, I would have bought it for you. Cause, you know, one giant dog just isn't enough. And also I was on the motorcycle, boy, that would have been a sight...

Alan said...

You can now view an awesome picture of Amanda by clicking on "Alan's blog" in Amanda's links section. I can also provide the full sized original picture if anyone wants it!!