Monday, June 29, 2009

we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto

So, the other day, let's call it "Friday," I was gearing up for the weekend. I had just gotten my hair cut, and I stopped at home to pick up some things before I went down to the boat to stay overnight. Greg, Jane and the dogs were already down there. I got home at about 4:15 p.m., and probably would have left at around 4:25 - except it started raining. Really, really hard. So I figured I'd just wait it out (didn't want to ruin my fresh, new 'do, ya know).
And then the rain kept coming. And then it turned to golf ball-sized hail. And then the wind whipped to what reports say was about 80 mph. The power went out. A tree went down in my front yard. And the wind was shaking the windows in my house, and the hail was pelting against the windows, and I, for the first time ever in a storm, was scared shitless. I didn't know what to do.
So, naturally, I grabbed my camera and opened the front door, so I could get some pics. And then I heard it. That weird, train-like noise that I recognized from the movie Twister. So I shut the door, and instead of going to the basement - LIKE EVERYONE KNOWS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO - I stood there. In front of my kitchen window. Too scared to move.
After about 20 minutes - a very, very long 20 minutes - the storm subsided to just rain. So I went outside, and holy crap, the carnage. Trees - big ass trees - down everywhere. Looked like they were plucked from the ground like weeds. I was trapped, because there were six trees across my road alone - four on one side and two on the other - never mind all the trees and bushes down in people's yards. My neighbor's shutters look like lace - the hail must've pounded the little holes in them. Someone's roof was partially knocked down. The fire department cruised by, saying in their megaphone, "Is everyone OK?" I walked around, taking pictures of everything, talking to neighbors I've never talked to in my life. It was surreal.
Part of my road was cleared out by Saturday morning, so I was able to make it down to the boat, and it's a good thing, because the power didn't come back on until Sunday morning. We were lucky to have somewhere else to stay.
It wasn't a tornado, although a nearby town did experience an actual tornado. But I think it was about as close as it could come. We're still picking up the mess. The landscape of my whole neighborhood looks different.


Flann said...

Holy crap! So Jane, Greg, and the pups waited it out on the boat? Was it better down there?

We didn't get anything here but some of my Twitter friends reported power outages and stuff. Insane.

Lora said...

oh my gosh!
i thought we lived close by one another, but i guess not.
i have no idea why i thought that, sometimes i make things up about people if i don't know the truth.
it's a bad habit.

N said...

Yikes! Scary stuff.